Director of the Chemistry Doctorate School at the University of Bologna.
Talk Title: Smartphone-based biosensors: Present status and perspectives
Current Position- Full professor of Analytical Chemistry and Director of the Chemistry Doctorate School at the University of Bologna.
Memberships in Professional and Scientific Societies
-Secretary of the “Accademia delle Scienze dell’Istituto di Bologna”.
-President of the International Society for Bioluminescence and Chemiluminescence (ISBC). (2013 – 2015)
-Vice President of the “National Institute of Biostructures and Biosystems ” (INBB).
-Vice President of the Italian Society of Chemistry (SCI). (2010 – 2013)
-President of the Division of Analytical Chemistry of the Italian Society of Chemistry (SCI). (2003 – 2006)
– Editor of “Biosensors & Bioelectronics” (Elsevier).
– Co-Editor in Chief of “Luminescence – The Journal of Biological and Chemical Luminescence” (John Wiley & Sons, Ltd).-
– Editor of Analytical and Bioanalytical Chemistry, ABC (Springer-Nature) 2007-2017
The main research activity focuses on the development of sensitive miniaturized bioassays and biosensors , and cell imaging based on optical and luminescence principles including bio-chemiluminescence and thermochemiluminescence. Analytical mass spectrometry (HPLC-ES-MS/MS, ESI-Q-TOF, MALDI-TOF, ¹³C/¹²C IRMS) for the identification and quantification of small molecules and proteins. Metabolomics and Proteomics .The main applications are in biomedical, environmental, agrofood, pharmaceutical and nutraceutical analysis
Awards and Honors
– 2018 Award for scientific merit, “Compagnia dei Semplici di Bologna”
– 2017 Mangia Medal, Bioanalytics group, Analytical Chemistry division of the Italian Chemistry Society
– 2016 “Liberti” Medal, Analytical Chemistry division of the Italian Chemistry Society
– 2007 Journal cover of Analyst (issue 132, 519–523, 2007)
– 2005 Journal cover of Angew. Chem. Int. Ed. Engl. (issue 44, 3694-3698, 2005)
Ad Hoc Reviewer
– Invited reviewer of the most important journals in Analytical Chemistry, Biosensors, Materials, Bio-Medicine, Biochemistry.
– Analytical Chemistry in graduated courses, Instrumental Analytical Chemistry and Biosensors in post-graduate courses.
Bibliography & bibliographic indexes (source ISI web)
– Coauthor of more than 650 publications on international journals on Analytical Chemistry, Medicinal Chemistry, Biochemistry, Clinical Chemistry dealing with physicochemical properties of bile acids, development of novel bioanalytical methods, immunoassays, biosensors, luminescence-based bioassays and HPLC and separative sciences combined with mass spectrometry.
– H index: 62.
– Times Cited (without self-citations): more than 12000.
Co-author of 35 international patents. He presented up to 900 invited lectures and oral comunications at national and international conferences.